Sunday, October 17, 2010

Reflection on my current understanding of the role and mission of school libraries (originally answered 9/4/10)


Describe your current understanding of the role and mission of school libraries.  What are/have been your experiences with school libraries and how has this colored your understandings of what a school library is an should be?

My current understanding of the role of the school library is to be the heart of the school.  To achieve this role, the school library must be a dynamic and vibrant asset that the students, teachers, and administrators need to help fulfill the mission of the school.  Equally, the school librarian must be a dynamic individual that stays at the forefront of current technology trends and resources to enable the library to remain relevant.
My current understanding of the mission of school libraries is what the American Association of School Libraries (AASL) set forth as the school library mission in 1998:  “The mission of the library media program is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information.”  I think that I have known of the AASL mission for so long that it has become an automatic response when someone asks what the mission of school libraries are.  I do believe, at this time, that the mission reflects what I believe to be important about school libraries. 

My experience with school libraries was, unfortunately, non-existent until I had children of my own.  I don’t remember ever stepping foot in a school library (L) when I was a K-12 student.  I remember going to the public library, but not the school library.  As a parent of three children however, the school library became a very important part of my life (hence the library degree!).  

The moment I stepped foot in my children’s elementary school library, I thought “Wow, this place is amazing.”  I realized how special the library could and should be.  Because of all the budget cuts, there was no money to buy new books.  I began fundraising efforts that enabled the library to purchase over 300 books.  To make a long story short, the librarian and I didn’t connect.  Eventually, I realized there was not much more I could do for that particular library.  It was time for me to move on.

My experiences with my children’s school library only made me more passionate about wanting to become a school librarian.  I began to read everything I could about school libraries.  I bought professional books, joined list serves, became a member of the AASL and the California School Librarians Association (CSLA), and went to the CSLA conference in 2008.  The more I learned, the more I wanted to be a school librarian. I believe firmly that the school library should be the heart of the school.  I want the library to be the exciting place to be, the place where all school community members feel like they belong and are making a difference in.  I want to make learning about “becoming effective users of ideas and information” interesting and fun and cool.  I want the school community members to have “aha” and “wow” moments when they are in the library. 
 
I recently was hired to be the library assistant at one of the three middle schools in my town.  It’s a  paraprofessional job, which I am fine with for now since I have never actually worked in a library and my degree isn’t complete yet.  I definitely feel as if I am being treated professionally and respected.  I am so excited to be able to take all of the ideas I have had over the years and actually implement them in a real, live school library!

No comments:

Post a Comment