Sunday, September 19, 2010

Reflections on the 9 Common Beliefs of the AASL's Standards for the 21st-Century Learner

American Library Association. (2009). Empowering Learners:  Guidelines for School Library Programs.  Chicago, IL:  Author.

American Library Association. (2006).
Standards for the 21st-Century Learner. Retrieved September 19, 2010, from American Association of School Librarians Web Site:   http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/guidelinesandstandards/learningstandards/standards.cfm.

Public Broadcasting System (1998).  Africans in America:  Part 4:  Judgement Day.  Retrieved September 19, 2010, from Public Broadcasting System Web Site: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p1539.html


The American Association of School Librarians (AASL), a division of the American Library Association (ALA),  has taken a much broader, in-depth look at what our students need if they are going to succeed as 21st century learners.  The result of their research is published as Standards for the 21st-Century Learner (link is attached).  An underlying understanding of the Standards for the 21st Century Learner are the 9 Common Beliefs (I will call them "beliefs" from here).
The 9 Common Beliefs are (my reading notes are in italics below each belief):

Reading is a window to the world.
Reading is a foundational skill for learning, personal growth, and enjoyment. The degree to which students can read and understand text in all formats (e.g., picture, video, print) and all contexts is a key indicator of success in school and in life. As a lifelong learning skill, reading goes beyond decoding and comprehension to interpretation and development of new understandings.

Reading truly is a window to the world.  So much of my personal and professional fulfillment comes from what I have read. As Frederick Douglass (1818-1895), a slave, and later a spokesperson for the abolition of slavery and racial equality, said "Once you learn to read, you will be forever free."(PBS, 2010).

Inquiry provides a framework for learning.
To become independent learners, students must gain not only the skills but also the disposition to use those skills, along with an understanding of their own responsibilities and self-assessment strategies. Combined, these four elements build a learner who can thrive in a complex information environment.

I believe that inquiry, or as I often say "to be curious", is a requirement for learning.  Many students might say "I don't like to learn."  But, that is not true.  If they like something, they like to learn about it.  Helping students make connections is a key component of making learning enjoyable.   

Ethical behavior in the use of information must be taught.
In this increasingly global world of information, students must be taught to seek diverse perspectives, gather and use information ethically, and use social tools responsibly and safely.

When I first read this title, I thought "Well, sure, I agree."  However, I think that the AASL has added a critical aspect to the description of the belief:  to seek diverse perspectives.  I wouldn't have thought of that as being an ethical decision, but after reflecting upon it, I think that seeking diverse perspectives supports the growth of a 21st century learner.

Technology skills are crucial for future employment needs.
Today’s students need to develop information skills that will enable them to use technology as an important tool for learning, both now and in the future.

Boy, this really does go without saying, but I don't see this reflected yet in the schools.  Hopefully, sooner rather than later,  between the AASL and state library associations and national and state Education departments, we will get there.

Equitable access is a key component for education.
All children deserve equitable access to books and reading, to information, and to information technology in an environment that is safe and conducive to learning.

This concerns me.  As the state budget (in California) has worsened, I see more and more school sites, at least in my community, fundraising for their individual school.  This sounds great, but what ends up happening is that other schools in my community who don't have the fundraising support from their parent community end up not having the same equitable access to materials.  I'm not sure what to do about this.  I am going to be sitting on my middle school's equity committee, so I'm hoping to begin making more of a difference in this important issue.

The definition of information literacy has become more complex as resources and technologies have changed.
Information literacy has progressed from the simple definition of using reference resources to find information. Multiple literacies, including digital, visual, textual, and technological, have now joined information literacy as crucial skills for this century.

This really stood out to me-that information literacy is only one aspect of the Standards.  I think this is so important because, at least to me, the term "information literacy" has been the buzzword for so long.  So, now, not only do I need to really get a better grasp on information literacy, I need to get a better grasp on the Standards for the 21st-Century Learner.  I have so much to learn!  That's both exciting and daunting to me!


The continuing expansion of information demands that all individuals acquire the thinking skills that will enable them to learn on their own.
The amount of information available to our learners necessitates that each individual acquire the skills to select, evaluate, and use information appropriately and effectively.

I can't add anything else.  Well said.



Learning has a social context.
Learning is enhanced by opportunities to share and learn with others. Students need to develop
skills in sharing knowledge and learning with others, both in face-to-face situations and through technology.

This needs to significantly improve.  This has the most exciting potential to really make learning more interesting.

School libraries are essential to the development of learning skills.
School libraries provide equitable physical and intellectual access to the resources and tools required for learning in a warm, stimulating, and safe environment. School librarians collaborate with others to provide
instruction, learning strategies, and practice in using the essential learning skills needed in the 21st century.

Well, I know this.  The problem is how do librarians get buy in from teachers, principals and parents?  Advocating this message is something I really want to focus on. 


As I reflect on the 9 Common Beliefs, several items come to mind.  First, I want to say that I agree wholeheartedly with these beliefs.  I was shaking my head up and down the entire time I was reading about them. I do, however, have some questions that are preventing me from really getting my hands around them.  Whose beliefs are these?  Are they the beliefs of the committee, the AASL, students, educators, teacher librarians, civic leaders, business people, etc?  The document doesn't make this clear to me.  I assume they are the beliefs of the AASL, but I'm not sure.

Anther unclear I think the AASL is suggesting that in order to gain the most benefit out of the Standards for the 21st-Century Learner, one has to accept the beliefs.  Do you agree?  I wish the AASL had been more clear in how the beliefs tie into the standards.

The AASL does say that the beliefs feature two core approaches to learning-reading and inquiry-which are embedded in school libraries.  That statement does help me understand why the beliefs are important, but I'm still not clear how the beliefs tie into the Standards.  After the beliefs, it does say that the beliefs describe the learning environment for the new learning standards.  That is helpful, but I don't think it provides a complete picture.Or perhaps, what would really help me is to have the AASL clarify what/how/why the 9 Common Beliefs tie into the Standards. It's almost as if an introductory paragraph about the beliefs is missing.

OK, moving on...because I do believe what the beliefs say (that came out kind of corny).  I like them so much that they will become part of my talking points as a school librarian.  In California, the beliefs seem to align well with the California Common Core Standards (a state adoption of the National Common Core Standards), and the newly adopted (as of 9/16) Model School Library Standards.  I am not qualified yet to speak these standards because I am still learning about them, but it's very exciting as a librarian to see that the beliefs and the Standards for the 21st Century Learner (both AASL) appear to merge nicely with the latest California and National standards.

It truly does seem that school libraries are finally getting the much-deserved attention at the California state level.  Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent point about relevance and inquiry - often when students say they don't like to learn what they mean is they don't like school, it is sad they equate school and learning.

    Nice point about the diverse perspectives, in this day and age it is easy to get caught in the echo chamber!

    Regarding equity - remember this is a belief, not necessarily saying it is happening (its not) but we'd like it too.

    I think it is safe to say as they are adopted by AASL they are the beliefs of the organization, and maybe not so much the profession (although wouldn't it be nice?) But they seem to be core values of school librarians - at least to me.
    I wonder if you look at all of the documents standards, guidelines, etc if it becomes clearer.

    ReplyDelete